Reply To: Think I got diagnosed today – scared to talk to parents, scared to go on meds

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Think I got diagnosed today – scared to talk to parents, scared to go on meds Reply To: Think I got diagnosed today – scared to talk to parents, scared to go on meds

momeowee
Participant

Hi! I came across ur post for other reasons. I’ve been diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder . I have trouble concentrating because of it. I realized something was different around 8 years old. Never told my parents or anyone. This was back in 1997. Today I found out my mom has ocd, never talked about it, and my sisters both have anxiety, depression… Always felt like the outcast. Talking in counseling helps a lot! Learned so much, I think most people have some kind of mental illness but because of stigmas still today, only the certain folks get help. I’m sure you will be scared to.try meds and u don’t have to. Just see how ur life is going now and is it worth just a try. U can ask pharmacist a million questions if u need, I still do. Maybe if its against ur families religions or something like that, it might go easier that u think. But u do not have to tell them. Start slow, ur family is there to support u though. Hope u find courage to keep going. Its for the best, let us all know how you do and are.