Reply To: Think I got diagnosed today – scared to talk to parents, scared to go on meds

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Think I got diagnosed today – scared to talk to parents, scared to go on meds Reply To: Think I got diagnosed today – scared to talk to parents, scared to go on meds

jllucci
Participant

Breathe. It will be ok. No need to tell anyone until you have fully processed the info and know what you want out of telling. Until then only tell people you want emotional support from while you are processing.

Medication does have side effects and it may or may not be worth taking for you. The good news is that the psychiatrist that diagnosed you will help you figure that part out. The other good news is that in the case of ADHD, if medication does turn out to be helpful you can take it when you need it and not when you don’t. Unlike some other medications that require a consistent blood level. There are also various kinds, so if one would be contraindicated there are other options.

In my case I use adderall, the short acting version, when I need to stay at my desk and focus on something I’m not enthralled with. The side effects I experience are thirst, sweating, increased heart rate, lack of interest in coffee, and an ability to stay seated. Sadly it does not magically make me focus on the important, only what I choose to put in front of me. The medications will not change your personality. At most they help you be a more controlled version of you. You will remain random, adventurous, fun and only 50% successful at figuring out your calendar.

If my anxiety level is high I don’t take it, if my day is going to be very active, I don’t take it since the variety keeps me engaged anyway.

More good news now you have something to help make sense of your experiences and a name to find resources and life hacks (coping mechanisms) that may help improve weaknesses.

Keep in mind while you process this new info that ADHD comes with significant strengths as well. Most people living with it have learned flexibility and problem solving; tend to have a good sense of humor and are creative. Interestingly, I was at a week long workshop for entrepreneurs and the vast majority of them also had ADHD. It was the most fun I’ve had in a long long time.

A person with ADHD combined with an executive secretary can accomplish much. 😉