Reply To: My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate. Reply To: My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate.

Mcdogsilly
Participant

I noticed a difference in my son’s behavior when I changed his medication. Sometimes it’s not easy knowing when the 14 tear boy kicks in or when the medication is letting you down, but I made the change from Concerta to Ritalin. I tried him on Concerta in two separate times (under psychiatric approval) due to trying to keep costs down (single mum whose medical aid doesn’t cover adhd meds). But on Concerta, my son is belligerent, confrontational and hard to be with. He constantly challenged me. I was reluctant with Ritalin because of the stories I had heard about children becoming withdrawn and introspective, but it hasn’t happened with my son. When he has his morning tab (40). He is a different person. I can actually have a conversation with him and it’s a joy! We breathe easier in the home. So all that to say, is that found changing meds played a factor in my son’s behavior and his own outlook towards family and school, etc.