Home › Welcome to the ADDitude Forums › For Parents › My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate. › Reply To: My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate.
My grandson is also showing signs of aggression over the last few months. I have found that:
1. When kids feels out of control, they act out and look for someone to provide the consistency and boundaries he needs. He is also struggling with three different homes, mine, my daughter’s and his dad’s.
2. By setting clear rules, he or she will understand what is expect of them and if they push the rules, they need quick reminders of what the rules are.
3. Give him choice so he can feel he has some control over his life. Maybe a better approach would be, “would you like your snack first or a shower?”
4. Counseling is a good idea since there is inconsistency in parenting. Through therapy he can work on his feelings and understand why he is so explosive.
5. School is just getting back in session so maybe now would be a good time to talk to his teacher to see if there is any concerns at school.
6. Jumping to the conclusion he is ODD and medication would not be my first choice. Looking at the medication he is on and possibly adjusting or finding another stimulate may be a better choice right now. Don’t do too much changing until you know exactly what is going on.
7. Have some fun with him. Laugh and be playful.