Reply To: So discouraged with no one to talk to

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame So discouraged with no one to talk to Reply To: So discouraged with no one to talk to

ADHDude
Participant

I too understand what it feels like to be in that situation. There are groups in my state for support but they are over 2 hours away so I can’t really do that when i work full time and have a family that I try to spend time with as much as possible. When I was diagnosed with adult ADHD only a couple years ago, I was also diagnosed with depression and anxiety. I take ADHD meds and meds for anxiety and between the two I am feeling good about 99% of the time. Sure there are certain days that aren’t as great but I try to view my ADHD as a positive in my life. It makes me creative, it gives me passion for my hobbies. The best thing for me was finding what makes me happiest. For work i have a knack for figuring things out and trying to make things faster. I am an automated tester in which I create processes to make testing faster in my company which is amazing. At home I make sure to set aside time each week for playing videogames because they let my mind escape reality for a little while. It is what helps me and everyone is different but that is what I would concentrate on first. Making friends is super hard. I have lived in my city for over 3 years now and I only spend time with my family outside of work. I honestly can’t say I have a single friend. We have family friends that are mostly my wife’s friends but I don’t have a friend to turn to if I need to escape home.

I do second socknoggle’s recommendation of How to ADHD on YouTube. Her name is Jessica and I got introduced to her from her TEDtalk which is awesome, I highly recommend it. I recommend just starting with looking online for groups and people. Check ADDitude for your area and also check out MeetUp’s website. My city doesn’t have a group for ADHD but yours might. I’m not sure how old you are or if you are into videogames but I know that is a way I have met friends in the past.

Hope my rambling helped a little. I am on this website daily so if you ever need anyone to talk to, don’t hesitate to reach out.