Reply To: High Calorie small quantity school lunch ideas, please

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Food, Nutrition & Health High Calorie small quantity school lunch ideas, please Reply To: High Calorie small quantity school lunch ideas, please

Penny Williams
Keymaster

First, consider what his favorite foods are. If he really likes chocolate or sweets, make some protein balls. Full fat cheese (younger kids love the cubes and shapes). Foods for grazing is how I would think of it. Protein shakes are good too. Make sure the items you pack have good protein, high calories, and as many nutrients as possible. Try not to pack simple carbs like breads, chips, etc — most kids will gravitate toward those foods but the need the protein for brain fuel.

One thing that made a difference for us was the type of lunchbox we packed. I noticed when I packed separate baggies and containers, he’d get one out and eat some of that and retrieve nothing else (elementary age). I got a PlanetBox lunchbox and it totally changed his eating (they are super expensive but will last a lifetime). https://www.amazon.com/PlanetBox-Eco-Friendly-Stainless-Compartments-Adults/dp/B006IVM9VS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1536065186&sr=8-3&keywords=planetbox Now he opened one thing and could nibble on a variety of things, instead of focusing so much on taking everything out (which he didn’t because he became distracted).

Here are some more ideas:

When Meds Affect Appetite

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism