Reply To: Wrong career

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Wrong career Reply To: Wrong career

rachael75
Participant

The irony of your post is that I’m a radiologic technologist and my job is perfect for someone with ADHD. I’m always moving around and interacting with patients and it’s always something new. I work in a hospital, mainly in the ED at night. People have asked me if I wanted to become a radiologist but I couldn’t do it. It’s not the school. It’s the sitting in a dark room staring at a computer screen all day.
There are sub specialties in the field like interventional radiology or maybe you could teach. Your best bet would be to find another field of medicine that’s more interactive. That’s a lot of school you’ve accomplished so far. One radiologist I worked with also did emergency medicine and worked in an urgent care in his off time. Come to think of it he probably had ADHD. He would always fidget with a click pen. Drove everyone nuts but it worked for him.
Try getting the right medication and see if you can find a good adult ADHD group. I went through one actually twice and it was great to get Ideas from other people in the same boat. The instructor had a lot of really good mindfulness practices and organization techniques that have helped me a lot.
I was diagnosed in the middle of my MHA program so I sort of understand your position. I couldn’t focus on the massive amount of textbook reading necessary in grad school. Apparently I was generally smart enough to sail through my undergrad work with no major issues. It’s kinda funny that I’m still working as an X-ray tech even though I have a masters degree but I really enjoy my work and the pay is decent. I have a union job and get amazing benefits and it’s relatively low stress (exactly why I chose to work night shift). In the end, you should find something that you enjoy. No amount of money is worth being stuck in a miserable job. I’m sure you aren’t the first med student to switch specialties. Best of luck. You will find the right career and you’ll be amazing at it. ADHD people think outside the box and that’s what the medical field needs.