Reply To: My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate. Reply To: My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate.

christydraeger
Participant

This is very likely DMDD. My child has this disorder. They are not psychotic but in their rages they have an “emotional seizure,” a total redline of their emotional regulation abilities and they revert to primal fight or flight. They are not logical during this time and cannot be coaxed out of the rage, it just needs to unwind by itself. Do not touch them, only look at them or speak to them in a quiet and calm voice if you have to. You may notice that your child is sorry afterwards and may even have diminished memory of the event. Take a look at this for more info about the disorder and feel free to message me with any questions.

https://www.cigna.com/assets/docs/behavioral-health-series/behavioral%20health%20children%20families/2016/childrenfamilies-apr-handout.pdf