Reply To: My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate. Reply To: My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate.

annieuceda
Participant

My son is now 10 and he had rage from 7-9.5! We are Hispanic and we don’t use medications to deal with our emotions. We like to let it out. My mother used to say “bota lo malo” which means “get rid of the evil.” So my 10 year old was diagnosed ADHD after age 6 when I couldn’t homeschool him and kindergarten couldn’t teach him to read. His anger and frustrations grew each year after I put him into public schools again and let the IEP team take over. At grade 4 I discovered once again that teachers are not trained to deal with mental health. I used what I learned from obtaining my CDA (child development associates) to help my son. And that was always having an open ear, an open mind, and an open schedule for him to find his happy place. My son just wanted to be treated with respect and dignity. He highly appreciates routine and rules! Today he’s still homeschooled and he controls his anger himself and sometimes with reminders. We don’t use medications. We do still yell a little. But he trusts me. He talks to me when he’s calm. He knows his limits better. And he knows when someone is not being genuine. He values authentic behavior. Teachers were forcing him to follow the crowd. And he needed to do work at his own pace. We found that his anger came from lack of being heard. And today SSA finds him having autistic behaviors. Obviously extremely high on the spectrum but he’s a normal kid, socially delayed, but normal for any child born from alcoholism. You can email me anytime with questions. My son has helped me grow like I would have never imagined. He’s my life’s purpose.