Reply To: My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate. Reply To: My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate.

Andre
Participant

Our 14-year-old son with ADHD had the worst meltdowns when he was hungry. They still happen, but not as often. The Vyvanse/clonidine combination he takes does really help his concentration, but I think the Vyvanse suppresses his appetite. Even a small disappointment or something else can set him off, and then he gets stuck in a feedback loop of anger, screaming, kind of a temporary insanity. If we can get him to eat or drink something to get his blood sugar up a little, it’s almost like magic. Poof! The tantrum melts away. Nutrition be damned, it’s all about getting him to eat something (anything).

The trick is that while he’s in the middle of the tantrum he won’t or can’t listen to reason, so saying things like “look, you’re hungry and it’s messing with your mind and emotions, eat this and you’ll feel better” doesn’t work. It has to be something he really loves, and he has to come to it and eat it on his own terms.

The other thing that comes to mind is that some years ago, he was taking Zyrtec for allergies. That stuff made him NUTS (rages, tantrums, screaming, you name it). We didn’t make the connection until his aunt mentioned in passing that she had to stop taking Zyrtec herself because it made her feel angry and strange and emotional. Since then some other parents we’ve talked to have said Singulair was making their kids into demons. Anyway, after a week of withdrawal (terrible itching mostly) the rage episodes disappeared.

Hope you and your kiddo get some relief soon.