Reply To: My 17 year old isn't going to graduate next year

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning My 17 year old isn't going to graduate next year Reply To: My 17 year old isn't going to graduate next year

jcurry
Participant

Hello~ my son just began freshman year and has ADHD – primarily hyperactive. He is on 27 mg. Concerta. He is extremely smart so I hope he buckles down, because he has not had to much in the earlier years. I am wondering if your son would be interested in doing some service work, and/or designing independent studies (I realize he hasn’t been motivated) or if he could start apprenticing somewhere in a trade he is interested in. If any of this interests him, perhaps a plan of completion for high school could be drawn up with the school or district. It is not going to look typical, but your son isn’t “typical” and that is all ok. This is called differentiating! Perhaps if you and your son and someone (a mentor?) from the school or district or even a teacher he enjoyed when he was younger could serve as the liason or advisor, the district may go for this. He may not graduate with his class, but he is already on a different path. I wish you and him the best….I can imagine your exasperation.