Reply To: How to motivate college-age child with ADD & depression

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Behavior & Discipline How to motivate college-age child with ADD & depression Reply To: How to motivate college-age child with ADD & depression

momof3ld
Participant

There may be more than depression/anxiety at play here. Is there an executive functioning deficit? Without EF it is impossible to plan and create goals and carry them out. Young adult hood is difficult for neuro-typical kids too. I have 3 young adults at home and they have had similar issues. All had EF issues along with ADD, and language disorders. One was also dyslexic another has high functioning autism. EF held them back more than anything. Having EF skills can help overcome the depression/anxiety piece.
I enrolled all of them at different times in the Arrowsmith program and it really helped.
arrowsmithschool.org/

My oldest with the severest LDs/ADD went back to community college, raised his failing GPA and got a certificate. He just got hired as a special ed teachers aide.

My ASD son returned to college and is now in a four year college about 3 semesters away from a degree in economics which is a major he loves.

I don’t mean to sound like a commercial but its the only program that really deals with executive function in a successful way. Everything else I tried, accommodations special programs etc just did not work for them.