Reply To: My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate. Reply To: My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate.

Penny Williams
Keymaster

You should read Ross Greene’s book, “Lost at School” — while it’s written mostly with teens in mind, it is 100% applicable to your experience (and ours too when I read this book and my son was in elementary).

The misunderstanding and, therefore, mistreatment of our kids by the schools is what causes this escalated and severe behavior. “Kids do well IF they can.” The stress of school is likely causing a great deal of what you’re seeing.

I also agree with you that it’s time to explore medication changes, especially if he was not volatile before one or all of these medications. SSRI’s (Fluoxetine) can make some kids aggressive and angry, especially kids who are super sensitive.

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism