Reply To: My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate. Reply To: My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate.

macaddict001
Participant

My 8 year old son has exhibited the same type of off the handle behavior with his mom over the last 4+ years, as well as at school. He was even Baker acted by the school at a very young age, which was completely improper with a child with known, diagnosed and documented ADHD condition. They then removed him from his school and forced him into a Tier2 behavioral environment at a new school, which has not gone well. He is so incredibly intelligent and can be so wonderful to be around the majority of the time. I get praise from other parents when he is with me about how well behaved and well mannered he is with them and their children, even in their homes. But to hear of him and these fits of rage is un-nerving. He has exhibited some defiant behavior with me over the last 4+ years, mostly when going to bed, but maybe 3 or 4 times, and not for at least a year or more. I am worried the meds his mom and pediatrician have him on are wrong. Its been so long since he has seen a child psychiatrist because there are none here that will take her insurance. But with the statement “Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both” gives me great concern because he is on methylphenadate and Guanfacine, along with Fluoxetine. I personally would love to see him off all of the meds entirely, (for many reasons) as he has been on them since 3 or 4yrs old and I’ve never seen him off them, (other than when he wasn’t given his meds) but thats a process in of itself and cannot be cold turkey. But we need to find help for him, because what the school is doing to him (not honoring or following IEP) and what appears to be improper medications is only going to get worse, and its spiraling out of control and it kills me because I see the greatness in him…….