Reply To: My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate. Reply To: My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate.

Penny Williams
Keymaster

What medications is he taking and how was it adjusted? If a new medication wasn’t tried, you still won’t know if this is a medication side effect or intolerance. My son had the same sort of behavior every time he was on a medication that just wasn’t right for him.

There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. It could be that he needs to try the other type, if you haven’t already.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

I HIGHLY recommend reading Ross Greene’s books “The Explosive Child” or “Raising Human Beings.” He explains why these types of behaviors occur, helps you determine triggers and lagging skills behind these behaviors, then offers a plan forward to reduce the behaviors and manage them.

Time for Plan B? 10 Tips for Dealing with an Explosive Child

Punishment doesn’t work — understanding your child’s brain and offering empathy and compassion are far, FAR more effective.

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism