Reply To: After school activities a struggle after meds wear off – please help

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents After school activities a struggle after meds wear off – please help Reply To: After school activities a struggle after meds wear off – please help

ddt1981
Participant

thank you Brian. the doctors says my son is big for his age at 49″ or so and 59 lbs currently. he was 53 lbs at the last med check and the doctor was very concerned with his low weight in relation to his height and if he didn’t gain weight by next med check we would switch meds. I’m nervous on doing that because he had a huge allergic reaction to one of them we tried early on. so i’ve been trying different foods, shakes, you name it. he just doesn’t have an appetite at lunchtime and doesnt eat much at dinner and says hes full after eating a little.

I am hoping to supplement his 27 mg of methylphenidate with a smaller dose in the afternoon to help with focus after our next med check. he hates to read, refuses and he is behind in his reading. most everything else he is OK with, alot I have to remember he is a child and will fuss and protest on some things. we tried the first dose of 36 mg today and he’s home with his grandparents so i’m anxious to hear how it goes. he has a hard time falling asleep sometimes, but with extreme cases I give him melatonin 0.5 mg to help and with that he is asleep within a half hour. I worry about him getting overtirred if the restlessness goes on too long during the week. long winded. is any of this similar to your child? how is your child with reading? my son gets so bored and hates to read, I have tried easy to read books about his interests but still hates it. thanks brian!