Reply To: Lunch Accommodations Added to an IEP

Pump2Duncan
Participant

I semi-understand where the school is coming from, I know the INTENT of their policy comes from a well meaning place. Pizza is one of my son’s all time favorite foods. Even family members have commented to me (and him) when he reaches in the box for his 4th slice. “Don’t you think he’s had enough?” “Slow down, you’ve had enough.” I’ve educated these people on what is “healthy” for him, isn’t healthy for everyone. Extra butter, extra sour cream, extra extra extra — that’s healthy for him. And he’s still only in the 4th percentile (he fell off without the protein shakes). These same people will comment on how skinny he is. So it’s kind-of like, damned if you do – damned if you don’t.

Since lunch time is one of the only times he gets to socialize, I absolutely do not want to isolate him further by forcing him to eat separate from other students – I absolutely will not allow that. His doctor says this is a common issue with ADHD children on a stimulant medication and so long as we maintain the slow incremental growth he has been managing, he would rather not make food an issue as much as possible. At home, it’s sit down meals with no distractions – protein and veggies first- followed by whatever starch is on the menu and I try to sneak in extra real butter or coconut oil onto his plate.

I guess if I’m honest, that’s what bothers me the most. Why is this an issue now too? Why can’t anything be easy for this kid? Why does he have to be questioned about even his lunch on his second day of school? Seriously, can’t they at least give this kid his lunch break? When I got the text from the teacher just saying “have concerns about your sons protein shake” I seriously asked him if he was playing, sharing or making a mess with it at school. I couldn’t believe it when they said it wasn’t allowed.

I guess in a society where everyone is so focused on healthy eating, we’ve forgotten that there’s different standards for different people.