Reply To: Quarter Life Crisis (I Was Just Diagnosed With "Inattentive Adult ADD"

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Quarter Life Crisis (I Was Just Diagnosed With "Inattentive Adult ADD" Reply To: Quarter Life Crisis (I Was Just Diagnosed With "Inattentive Adult ADD"

JBoom
Participant

Sounds to me like you’ve been victimized by a lot of science-denial and pseudoscience. Stimulant medication is safe and effective, and for people age 6 and older is the first-line treatment option for ADHD, with cognitive therapy recommended as an augmentation.

There is a problem, especially in the past, of doctors not taking the proper time to find the right medication option/dosage. You may have been treated in the past by a doctor that didn’t have good ADHD knowledge. But also, ADHD knowledge is growing every day. So, we know things now that we didn’t just a few years ago.

Try it again, with a doctor who is willing to start with small doses and increase slowly until you find the sweet spot. This is a process called titration.

If you want to read the rebuttals against the science-denial and pseudoscience out there, here’s a good source: https://adhdrollercoaster.org/category/myth-busting/