Reply To: catastrophe-fizing

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame catastrophe-fizing Reply To: catastrophe-fizing

ddallentca
Participant

I also have been diagnosed with ADHD recently, at age 58, and before that was always told it was anxiety and depression issues. Like so many others diagnosed late in adult life, it’s helpful to finally know why I’ve struggled through life more than others, yet I still worry excessively and focus on those “what ifs”, usually going to worse case scenarios first. I am trying to stay focused on the present, as posted above, yet it is very hard. If I’m stuck on an issue too long, I try to think through or write down what is the worse thing that could happen, and even if that happen, talk through how I could survive even that happening, as long as I have my health, support of family and friends, etc. I am now going to try to use the advice posted here, like using the word “cancel” before I give myself time to get carried away by my thoughts.

I am also trying to practice mindfulness techniques, which basically have you focus on being in the present and clearing your mind of those worries, and just focus on your breathing and what your body is experiencing at this exact moment. They say if you practice mindfulness regularly, it is easier to keep yourself in the present when you need to stop worrying or when your emotions race out of control beyond what the situation would cause in non-ADHD people.

I will also share that after getting on ADHD medication, in my case, Vyvanse, I tried to get off Effexor, which I was using to address my depression and anxiety symptoms. My psychiatrist sent me to an endocrinologist who put me on Estrogen which has really helped clear my thinking back to my younger days, but I found I still struggle with anxiety, and having my emotions be right on the surface all the time. After struggling to try to master the anxiety without medication for a few months, I finally went back on a lower dose of Effexor, and now the combination of all these things has helped me feel better than I have in a long time. I feel like I can deal with my emotions appropriately, although I still have the ADHD hyper-emotions they talk about, but I now know what that is and why I experience it, and I can try to use the other methods in this post to work through them. I hope something I’ve shared helps you and others in this forum – I find it very reassuring to know there are others struggling with the same issues I struggle with, and I’m thankful that people are willing to share so openly here.