Reply To: What is normal anyway? Am I just overthinking?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond What is normal anyway? Am I just overthinking? Reply To: What is normal anyway? Am I just overthinking?

amelialakefull96
Participant

I’m pretty much in the same boat as you. I have pretty much all of the same problems as you have, plus a few additional ones of my own, like not usually being able to go for more than a few hours without exercising, always having problems with getting to sleep at night for as far back as I can remember because just I can’t seem to get my brain to wind down, ever, and on that note not being able to go even one day without exercise, otherwise I just can’t get to sleep full stop! I have a great deal of difficulty every day with staying tuned in during conversations,too, but it’s made even worse for me if I haven’t done any exercise that day/ if I’ve been doing sedentary things for too long- and I also totally relate to you on your enhanced difficulty with staying focused in crowded spaces/ when you’re with a group of people. My (current) boyfriend has ADHD and he’s been trying to tell me for the past 6 months that he thinks I have it too and I find it really irritating because ADHD or no ADHD, I’m still the same person- and so are you. But I have had and continue to have so many problems in my daily life directly related to having enormous difficulty with staying focused on the things that I want to stay focused on or with shifting my focus from one task to another if something really interests me and with my short term memory, that I think I owe it to myself to go and get tested to see if there’s an explanation for why I am the way I am. The only reason I haven’t done it yet is because I’m scared that I’ll be told by a professional that I don’t have ADHD, but I also don’t have anything else either and that I’ll just remain an enigma to myself and everyone else around me for the rest of my days. But in all likelihood, that’s not going to happen- in all of my obsessive research over the past 6 months, I seem to fit a lot of the symptoms and so do you and even if something else is responsible for why we are the way we are, I think I would kick myself if I didn’t find out what that thing was. And that person who told you that didn’t think it was possible that you have ADHD probably doesn’t know the first thing about it by the way. Because most people don’t know the first thing about it unless they know someone with ADHD and it’s Very misunderstood. I didn’t even know what it was until I met my boyfriend and he explained it all to me! I used to just think it meant someone who was unable to sit still in class! At the very least if you were to go and officially get tested and it turns out that you have nothing unusual or ADHD-related going on inside your brain, it’s an opportunity to learn even more about ADHD as a whole, so that you can be more understanding and compassionate towards other people who you might meet one day who have it, and you can also educate clueless chums on what it is and what it isn’t if it comes up in conversation and they’ve been misinformed. Also ADHD usually goes unnoticed in women and girls because it often surfaces it self in a different and less noticeable ways- e.g. we tend to be more absent-minded/ scatter brained/dreamy instead of hyperactive or our hyperactivity is more likely to be internalised- thus it’s far less likely to be pointed out as a problem by teachers and goes unnoticed, the vast majority of the time. Plus clearly you haven’t got as far as what you have without your symptoms being recognised- since you said your friends call you “scatter-brained” etc. they’re pointing out a lot of ADHD-related symptoms without even realising what they’re related to! My friends and family do the exact same thing which is another reason why I’ve been thinking about getting tested. But the fact of the matter is, if I had something physically wrong with me, like a persistant pain in my stomach that didn’t go away after a couple of weeks no matter what I did, I would go to a doctor without question and try and figure out what was going on. Even if nothing was wrong with me, I would still need some peace of mind. And mental health-related problems shouldn’t be any different and they shouldn’t be ignored. Which is why sometime over the next couple of weeks I’m going to go and officially get myself tested for ADHD and find out what’s going on inside my brain, because I need that same peace of mind. I’ll let you know how it goes if you like. Also your ex-boyfriend pointed it out to you, so it Definitely didn’t go unnoticed! Also maybe that person who told you they didn’t think you had ADHD had a negative sterotype in their head of what they think ADHD is and they thought they were paying you a compliment by saying you didn’t have it e.g. a noisy, disruptive, angry child- when in reality, loads of hugely successful people have it, e.g. Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, Zoey Deschannel, Emma Watson etc. so clearly when diagnosed and managed well it doesn’t have to hold someone back- it has it’s strengths and weaknesses just like any disorder… Just something to keep in mind when you’re deciding what to do next 🙂 Also I was just wondering whether you have any unusual reactions to drinking coffee if you’re a coffee drinker… e.g. sleepiness or feeling relaxed afterwards? I just wondered because frequently when I’m feeling stressed out or I feel like I have too much energy I turn to coffee a lot to calm myself down and I find it extremely effective. And I always just thought this was a normal reaction but apparently it’s not so idk…