Reply To: What is normal anyway? Am I just overthinking?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond What is normal anyway? Am I just overthinking? Reply To: What is normal anyway? Am I just overthinking?

magicwindow
Participant

The person I confided in said I wouldn’t have got this far in life with adhd without it being picked up.

That is so far from the truth it’s not even funny. You know how you’ve gotten this far into life without it being picked up? Coping mechanisms. You’ve probably managed to develop some that are just enough to hide your inner struggle from the rest of the world. It doesn’t matter what other people think – I mean, if someone’s pointing out that you may have an issue with something, then it’s worth considering, but regarding the decision of whether or not to be legitimately screened for ADHD, that is a personal choice of yours.

As someone who wasn’t diagnosed until I was 30, I can tell you that everything you’ve described is incredibly relatable, and I do in fact have ADD (Primary Inattentive). Do yourself a favor and talk to a professional and be evaluated. Share the things you’ve shared here with the same level of honesty. Be real with yourself. There’s no use in wracking your brain wondering if there’s a problem when it’s clearly enough of a concern to trigger worry and anxiety in you.

The fact that the person you confided in responded the way that they did, so immediately dismissive and in a know-it-all fashion shows a severe misunderstanding and lack of knowledge about the complexity of ADD and it’s subtypes. You need to speak to a professional who knows what they’re talking about and deals with this stuff for a living. Don’t worry, you’re going to be fine. Try to brush off the experience of talking to that person you confided in and move forward. Do it for yourself.