Reply To: Think Before You Act? Easier Said Than Done (new user)

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done Think Before You Act? Easier Said Than Done (new user) Reply To: Think Before You Act? Easier Said Than Done (new user)

Bert
Participant

You might’ve been joking about the TBYA tattoo, but for me the tat would be a distraction itself. I hate name tags and have even removed logos from shirts (scratched off or used a seam ripper).
When I need to assemble something with lots of little parts I separate them into coffee mugs or dixie cups, and if there are enough of those, I’ll put them onto a plate, cookie sheet… If I feel my temper getting to me, I pause and look at all the little parts that I’d have to hunt down if I even pushed it aside (because naturally it would fall off the table or tip over and have them roll under the sofa, fridge,…
But I also divide M&Ms by color.
… then I look at the pictures. Except the last thing I assembled didn’t have pictures and the instructions were in Japanese and all of the bolts were too short, so I am returning it.
I’ve learned to read through Tables of Contents (non-fiction). If a chapter seems long, I’ll flip to it to see why: Are there maps, charts, pictures, diagrams?
Anyway, I try to break an activity down as far as I can for simplicity. If there might be a detour while driving, I try to plan ahead (and try to remember to bring an easy-to-read version along).