Reply To: Frustrations of figuring out treatment

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame Frustrations of figuring out treatment Reply To: Frustrations of figuring out treatment

hayes
Participant

Bullitt

Thanks for sharing your story! I’m a high school teacher (24 years) diagnosed 16 yrs ago at age 35. I definitely relate to your struggles, both at work and home (2 kids, now 17 & 20). For the longest time, in thought that meds were sole remedy for this ADD ‘thing’ – until I put my marriage in jeopardy almost 15 months ago now. I share the same anxiety and shame that you do. The thing I didn’t realize was that I also needed a solid treatment plan in place, as well. For me, thatnincluded therapy as well as meds (Concerta 54mg).

Having an objective third party to sort things out with has made all the difference for me. From your post, I didn’t get the sense that you’ve tried this route yet. Might this be something worth pursuing? We ADD’ers need additional supports – because as you say (as I experienced, too), attending to and keeping track of everything in our days is HARD. It’s still a struggle for me sometimes, but I’ve got the supports in place that I need, when I need them. I have an amazing family, as well; I sense you do, too (your wife is still with you in this – a huge difference-maker!).

Just wanted you to know that there are lots of us out here walking the same road – when we don’t wander off, that is! 😉 Keep at it – and check back on this board if you need to. I wish you well on your journey… Chris