Reply To: Is the future really Bleak for late diagnosis?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Is the future really Bleak for late diagnosis? Reply To: Is the future really Bleak for late diagnosis?

hayes
Participant

Thanks for sharing your story! I was diagnosed 16 yrs ago at 35. My marriage and job were in jeopardy. I initially thought meds were the thing to ‘solve’ this ADD thing. It wasn’t until another crisis 2 years ago that I realized that meds and therapy are what works. I’ve found that depression/anxiety often accompany this diagnosis (I’m also exploring rejection sensitive dysphoria); they are the angry partners of ADD/ADHD. My diagnosis and treatment have put a lot of my difficult childhood in perspective. I hope you can find a sound balance that works for you.

There can be good outcomes. I’ve been a high school teacher for 23 yrs now – my classroom is chaotic (I like to call it dynamic!), and just celebrated 25 yrs of marriage. It’s still a struggle at times – I’m thankful for my amazing wife and kids. Be kind to yourself, and find those things that help you rebuild that foundation – we’re (us ADD’ers) tougher than we know! I wish you well on your journey…