Reply To: One year on from diagnosis…

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults ADHD Success Stories One year on from diagnosis… Reply To: One year on from diagnosis…

over the rainbow
Participant

Should probably clarify that I don’t think medication is necessarily the magic answer to all your problems. I had been looking for answers for a long time before diagnosis, trying to implement new strategies without success. I had done my research, was ready to put everything into action, was motivated, was not going to use my adhd as an excuse to carry on as I was (there are only three people who know I have been diagnosed), I had been looking for answers, was ready to try anything to improve myself…. the medication gave me the kick I needed to bring it all together and execute the plan. The medication is definitely not as effective as it was in the first few months and now I realise I have to start working on my home environment too, to clear out the mental clutter as well as the physical. I need timetables, routines in place for my daughter, points systems for chores. She was definitely not born with the condition (very logical, organised, one thought process at a time) however more recently I have seen signs develop. I wonder how much is nature vs nurture… and I can’t afford to let my condition get in the way of her childhood. She needs playdates, sleepovers, washing put away, clear bedtime and morning routines. She needs to know where she stands on a day to day basis. And that’s my next carrot…