Reply To: Think Before You Act? Easier Said Than Done (new user)

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done Think Before You Act? Easier Said Than Done (new user) Reply To: Think Before You Act? Easier Said Than Done (new user)

Hi everyone!

New user here too and my word your thread caught my eye.
Im 36 yr old mum of 2 diagnosed a year ago and on Methylphenidate once or twice a day low dose and it has changed my life. However there are still some aspects that are just ingrained in me and the whole instruction/list/menu/choice thing is such a central part to what I struggle with. It’s so normal to me i just don’t understand how anyone CAN read linearly and not jump around the page for the interesting bits 1st. I read magazines and books like recipe books backwards 1st because im impatient about the end! I haven’t pick up a fiction book in years because motherhood consuming my brain and i simply cannot concetrate on even one sentence without getting bored or my attention going else where. And CHOICE! the bane of my life. supermarkets, online shopping, menus you name it i can’t deal with it!!!!
I have a 9 yr old daughter who has ADHD and ADD and struggles with the same things, however because I know whats going through i’m parenting her in a lot more positive manner to how i was brought up so she has confidence and bubbliness!

No advice apart from accept yourself and your struggles. I know i still ‘hide’ my incompetences because quite frankly its embarrassing . I am a Post grauduate with a 1st degree and i still fuck up putting together a kids toy !

One other thing…. do you find the passing of time physically painful?! Since ive been on meds its much better and i can get through the whole day without the painfullness of time… if you see what i mean? I think this co-incides with the whole ‘i don’t have enough time to read things thoroughly issue’???? I also make simply spelling and grammar mistakes simply because i do not take enough care and cant be bothered to read through what i’ve written. This causes a lot of embarrassment on Social Media!
To a point where i can go weeks without writing everything because everyone is tuned into my mistakes

And I too have lost many many jobs and good positions. I am now self employed and do ‘odd jobs’ and look after my family as I cannot cope with anything else anymore.