Reply To: Think Before You Act? Easier Said Than Done (new user)

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done Think Before You Act? Easier Said Than Done (new user) Reply To: Think Before You Act? Easier Said Than Done (new user)

seaancsfo
Participant

Reading, my eyes are all over the page, jumping from here to there, totally out of my control. Menus are worthless, especially pizza, burger or breakfast menus where I’m trying to compare similar meals and find what’s different. My partner–I can’t begin to explain how blessed I am to have such an understanding, loving, accepting man to put up with this–is a complete lifesaver. I choose the category, he helps me “see” the differences. Pictures are godsends but they’re pretty much limited to 24 hr eateries. Grocery shopping can nearly bring me to tears with all its options. Again, he automatically steps in and picks from the hundreds of similar options.

I mentioned it to every kind of doctor I came across. Nothing. Two psychiatrists and finally the second one said, “Yep, you have a severe case of ADHD with dysthymia and anxiety (I understand the last two are extremely common with ADHD but too what extent they’re results of the ADHD or independent . . . it makes no difference, they’re there).” Meds and therapy (first time with a therapist) have been helpful but still extremely frustrated with the challenges. It’s cost me career positions, money, friends, relationships, everything.

You’re the first that’s brought up the reading/menu challenge like I have. I’m not alone or totally crazy.

As far as shame, I’m a 61 year old man on the outside with an adolescent dictating my thoughts and behaviors. Shame and regret have filled my life and to avoid them I’ve been overly private and secretive about jobs lost and failure. Top sales producers but months behind on paperwork and reports and of course I was incapable of asking for help.

My outsides are so drastically different from my insides, it’s unbelievable. Thank you for your post and we’ll continue to fight the good fight!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by seaancsfo. Reason: Misspellings
  • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by seaancsfo.
  • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by seaancsfo.