Reply To: Think Before You Act? Easier Said Than Done (new user)

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done Think Before You Act? Easier Said Than Done (new user) Reply To: Think Before You Act? Easier Said Than Done (new user)

Wow! Thanks for all this advice! I don’t quite have the time to respond to it all now, but I wanted to say a couple things:

On the buddy system, that is a good idea, though usually that also causes more stress, particularly because that ‘buddy’ is always my wife. She’s very patient most of the time, but I have a real prevalent habit of almost misinterpreting instructions or rushing through something. Some of the worst fights we’ve ever had was over Ikea furniture. But this speaks to a larger fear of mine about how ADHD affects my relationship with my wife. My ability to make mistakes in the simplest of forums would, were it any other activity, deserve a medal for consistency. That’s a whole separate post, as I am sure that there are many of you who have had similar feelings.

Does anyone else get that physical feeling that, either you’re stuck in being overly cautious and psyche yourself out of doing the simple, correct thing, or that you’re being hurled forward by some kind of inner momentum that makes you overshoot your target, no matter how hard you’re focusing?

More to write later. So glad to have a community….
-A