Reply To: Think Before You Act? Easier Said Than Done (new user)

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done Think Before You Act? Easier Said Than Done (new user) Reply To: Think Before You Act? Easier Said Than Done (new user)

athabm
Participant

Yes, I have this same issue of not being able to force myself to read certain texts linearly. Menus really are difficult, and I often hear a friend saying they’re going to order something I swear was not even on the menu but then they point it out and I see I just erased it when I was reading.

It often depends on my emotional state, and being hungry or tired makes it worse, which makes menus even more difficult. When it comes to instructions, I usually just look at the pictures instead of reading, which works for Legos and IKEA furniture. My suggestion would be to eat a snack or make sure you’re tackling instructions at the time of day you are most alert. For menus, can you look at the online menu ahead of time? I find that usually helps me to know what my options are in advance, and reduce the pressure of making a decision while hungry. I also usually find online menues easier to read for some reason.