Reply To: Think Before You Act? Easier Said Than Done (new user)

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done Think Before You Act? Easier Said Than Done (new user) Reply To: Think Before You Act? Easier Said Than Done (new user)

NAzbell
Participant

I had attempted several different medications til only one had a noticeable effect for me. After going through a series of dose increases I personal abandoned medication. The last increase of the stimulant was concerning enough for my doctor to prescribe a heart medication.

This lead me to a cognitive therapist who taught me a few exercises to help me retrain my brain based on my current concerns. They have helped tremendously in gaining some control. I’m sure if I returned I would learn a few new tricks to help concur my recent concerns. I have yet to have insurance that will cover any part of a visit to a neuropsychologist though I still plan a visit when my pocket allows.

One other tactic that has helped with many of the minor hurdles for me is routines. I will say as with my own impulsivity it was very difficult to begin. With determination most of my routines took nearly a year to instill as solid habits. Habit overrides impulsivity every time for me.