Reply To: I feel like I am being excluded at work

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Relationships I feel like I am being excluded at work Reply To: I feel like I am being excluded at work

SierraW
Participant

Let me say first and foremost, BOY CAN I RELATE! I have been in similar situations all through my life. I am no expert on social skills, actually quite the opposite. I do however have a belief and affirmation that helps me in such times:

“I am different and that is okay. I see the world differently and many people cannot relate. I like myself and that is enough.”

Sometimes the rejection I am experiencing and feeling is imagined. Other times it is not. I can sit and analyze everything I said. Wincing and cringeing at myself when I said something impulsive or overshared or talked about myself for way too long. Or rereading an email that never got that hopeful reply 1,000x. It isn’t going to change who I am or what that person thinks of me. Many people will tell you to join a support group. This is a great idea but not always possible.

Embrace yourself for who you are. I promise there are things that make you a great friend even if others can’t see them.

Also, I know from first-hand experience that sometimes co-workers can be extremely toxic and play games. Avoid these people. Avoid gossiping people and never get sucked into that mindset. As people with ADHD we know what it is like to be misunderstood. A true friend would tell you if you did/do something that is rude.

I am sorry you are going through this. Just remember, you are not alone!!!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by SierraW.