Reply To: ***URGENT Career Help!!!****

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done ***URGENT Career Help!!!**** Reply To: ***URGENT Career Help!!!****

BrendaB
Participant

Thanks All. Yes setting up ebay is tedious, and I put it off for months(ADD)! I set a Saturday aside and put all my clothes in various categories and took pics and wrote short descriptions (ebay makes it easy). And I refused to iron all the clothes! That was the part I was dreading! I just put them up wrinkled! And now with cell phones, it’s easy to take pics and post. I actually was on such as roll, I emptied out more stuff from my closet that I did not plan on selling! I made $245 this month! (minus approx $40 in fees). I am now considering having an ebay store in the future.
My masters utilized software that is now obsolete and I couldn’t afford to buy it to keep up with the new software. Most people (who keep jobs longterm) utilize the software at their jobs because the employers purchase licenses.

I was teaching at a community college and absolutely loved it! But it was adjunct and I could not afford to live on a part time salary. The stress of trying to get by on that salary, facing eviction caused me so much stress and anxiety – missing class because of car trouble and forgetting to return the contract agreement, resulted in me not being asked back (even though I had excellent reviews). I therefore do not know how I can apply to other colleges without them calling the previous school.I was even so desparate at one time to go back and tell them my diagnosis and hope they would give me a second chance- but it was many years ago.

Re: Eviction- yes you go to court but they get you out quickly in my state. I have utilized social services previously, they will pay $600 of the rent PROVIDED one has an eviction notice and can prove they have income coming in. I asked my landlord one time to give me an eviction notice. He was not happy he had to spend time to go down to the courts, etc. I got the $600 AND had to pay him back all of the court fees.

I contacted my states Dept of Rehabilitation. They are slow as….. And the counselor I had was a rude idiot! I knew I wanted to take a class to update my skill set. I thought that would be beneficial and showed her my resume. I also found schools with the classes. Presented it to her and she stated “people always want to take classes. Then they don’t finish. Then they come back to me and then are on my case load for years”. She refused to sigh off stating “she has to think about it”!!! And I should let unemployment pay for it. (I knew ue would pay but I wanted to take another class through them – which I am doing now). I was LIVID! But I stayed professional and calm. FOUR WEEKS passed and she was still thinking about it. I escalated it to her manager and demanded she so something. She never responded. Now they have me with a non profit they work with (reputable)and the career person there is supposed to assist me with finding a job. Which basically means she finds the exact same jobs I find on the internet and presents them to me. And all of the other jobs with her contacts are for mostly minimum wage and a little above. So she is useless- but at least pleasant.

ANY suggestions on the student loans and using disability as a leverage and also extending unemployment past the 6 months appreciated. A good friend just deposited $400 in my bank account so I can make rent. And I will pray for guidance to get the job after the second interview.