Reply To: My 17 year old isn't going to graduate next year

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning My 17 year old isn't going to graduate next year Reply To: My 17 year old isn't going to graduate next year

penguindrooster
Participant

With regard to math, sometimes kids needs a really gifted teacher. I am a perfect example; I was horrible at math for most of my school career until I got to one teacher who somehow made it all snap into place. Ask around for the name of a teacher who is talented at getting through to kids who are struggling in math. Like I say, it’s a gift that few people have so it may take a while to find someone but they’re out there.

The main thing is damage control. Right now you want to work with the school and/or a therapist on how to get him through high school with the least damage to his future. My father only had a GED but he wound up going to college and then law school so don’t worry so much about him graduating.
Maybe your son works for a year or two after high school before starting his next educational phase. Big deal. The last thing you want is for him to go to community college and start racking up Ds and Fs.

I bet he’s still in that childhood stage where they think that if they just wish hard enough for something, they’ll get it. I have a kid just like that. It’s a developmental phase that they just have to grow out of, and with some kids the lightbulb doesn’t go on until 22 or 23 or even later.

And don’t look down your nose at trade school, good welders make $60,000 a year and a lot more if they specialize. Linemen can make $200,000.