Reply To: STRUGGLING WITH ADULT ADHD DAUGHTER

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults STRUGGLING WITH ADULT ADHD DAUGHTER Reply To: STRUGGLING WITH ADULT ADHD DAUGHTER

maremaze09
Participant

My struggle is with my 21 year old son. He has ADHD & Aspergers Syndrome. Took himself off of medication in 10th grade, at which time this straight A honors student stopped trying. Grades plummeted. He did get into college, but ultimately dropped/failed out. He’s living at home with me now (I’m a single mom with 3 other kids) and takes a few classes here & there at our community college. Self-medicates with marijuana. Can’t keep a job and/or lies about working. He refuses to go on medication, but has addiction issues and is depressed and angry. He struggles with a spending addiction, so when he does have money – some he has stolen from me and his siblings – he blows it on stupid stuff like fast food and comic books.

I know he needs therapy, but hasn’t been completely honest with a therapist when he did go. He would definitely benefit from ADHD meds and probably an antidepressant, but he refuses to take them. I’d kick him out but I fear with no money or life skills, he wouldn’t survive.