Reply To: My 17 year old isn't going to graduate next year

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning My 17 year old isn't going to graduate next year Reply To: My 17 year old isn't going to graduate next year

maremaze09
Participant

I can relate to so many of the comments above. My son is 17 and going into Senior year. I do believe he’ll graduate, but barely. Is on an IEP and sees an interventionist, but they really don’t understand the executive functioning deficits with ADHD. They just keep making goals for him to be more organized, etc. Home school is not an option for me as a single mom. He’s a popular kid at school, kind of the class clown. He has been using marijuana for more than a year now, but even the school won’t take a hard stance on that. He has had and lost 2 jobs, because he’s just lazy. I offer to work with him to study and do homework but he regularly says he’s done it all in study hall. A lot of his bad grades are due to failure to turn in homework assignments – easy points if you just do the work. He plays sports, which actually helps him with his focus, but there’s no way he’ll get into any college.

I’m feeling like he may just have to learn from natural consequences. So hard as a parent.