Reply To: Anyone Else Diagnosed After Graduating College & Not Know What To Do Now?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Anyone Else Diagnosed After Graduating College & Not Know What To Do Now? Reply To: Anyone Else Diagnosed After Graduating College & Not Know What To Do Now?

JBoom
Participant

I’m 46, just getting a diagnosis.

In retrospect, I coped by jumping from job to job (software engineering, a skill I’ve developed since age 11) until I had enough knowledge and experience to be an independent consultant. At that point, my hourly rate was high enough that I only had to work 15 hours a week. I would spaz around life the rest of the time — mostly drunk.

That sounds great and all, but when you only spend 15 hours a week on your own business, you really can’t mature it into a long-term sustainable source of income. I managed to keep it up for 10 years, but it eventually crashed an burned.

That was the eye-opener that led to returning to full-time work and seeing a doctor about why my life wasn’t normal like everyone else.

I’m not sure this will be helpful or not, but thought I’d share my experience. I guess if there’s any lesson in there, you should seek out “less traveled” options, but don’t blow it by doing so without proper treatment (like I did)!