Reply To: HI ,diagnosed 2 months ago 41 year old male – struggling

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond HI ,diagnosed 2 months ago 41 year old male – struggling Reply To: HI ,diagnosed 2 months ago 41 year old male – struggling

JBoom
Participant

2 months is not a long time. Hopefully, your doctor is monitoring your dosage and you two are experimenting to find the right dose (there is no way of determining this without trial and error).

Yes, you hear those stories of someone turning their symptoms around the first day on medication, but those are sensationalized and rare. The truth is, it could take years to find to right treatment (although probably much less). The key is to keep trying, and not dig your heels into something that isn’t really working (hyper-focus).

I’m 46, started meds 4 or 5 months ago, and am still trying to find the right dose. Also, I’m still working on the non-meds portion of treatment. I find reading articles on this site as well as a few books I’ve picked up give me hope — but I have yet to settle into what feels like an effective treatment plan.

I recommend books by Dr. Russell A. Barkley, as well as this site for learning about various treatment options and strategies.