Reply To: Having to Change Process

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done Having to Change Process Reply To: Having to Change Process

strwbry
Participant

I too like patterns, rhythm, and the security of knowing what steps come next. It’s like a built in habit. Habits are hard to break. I’m one of those who, instead of fixing the one letter I misspelled in a word, will erase the whole word and start from scratch. Same thing if i word a sentence incorrectly. Something about redoing it the right way makes me feel like I’ve corrected the mistake. I think it has to do with perfectionism for me. Doing it the “right” way is just as important as the result. Sometimes I get stuck. Especially if a step changes at work. It throws off my whole routine and gets me frustrated.
I like what Penny said. Sometimes you just have to take a deep breath and let it go. As a person, we’re going to make mistakes. Even if that “mistake” just means not doing something the “right” way. Or having to do something someone else’s way. Reminding ourselves that it’s going to be ok, even if things go differently than expected can help us be more resilient to the inevitable changes.
Sometimes i literally tell myself “I’m okay” when things start making me uncomfortable. Cuz the truth is, i am okay. Feeling uncomfortable doesnt always mean something is wrong. Its supposed to, but my brain is a little different and sometimes overreacts. Letting it stress us out doesn’t fix it. Just makes it feel bigger. Sometimes it’s out of our control. There’s freedom in accepting that, and knowing that, even when things aren’t in our control, we are still okay. 🙂