Reply To: Hate Sleeping-ADHD Related?

niel.malan
Participant

I have the same problem, and last year it got really bad.

I think there is something deeper involved than just not liking going to sleep. I didn’t get sleepy at all, and despite my best intentions I’d take the laptop to bed and get the light out at 3 a.m. (and then wake up at 11 a.m., detesting myself.)

Since I’ve been taking medication, it’s been easier. For a 6 a.m. wake-up, which I’m aiming for, I need to get the light out at 10 p.m., but it’s usually 11 p.m. I take a warm shower at 9 p.m., which helps with relaxing and gets my feet warm. (When can’t fall asleep, my feet are cold. I haven’t figured out if there’s a cause-and-effect, but doesn’t hurt to avoid cold feet at bedtime.)

To do this, I actually set alarms that tells me when to go to bed. I know it’s common advice, but it does make a difference. I use both gentle alarm tones on my mobile phone and an app called SplenDo, which reads the reminders one put into it – it lets me be creative with
wording (“Come to bed darling, I have something waiting for you” 😉 ) and it doesn’t require silencing.

When I do go to bed I take some reading, my Bullet Journal, and a cryptic crossword puzzle.

As I read I might remember things to do, and that goes to my BuJo, so that I don’t start a milling thought about it. The same goes for other stray ideas. When I’m tired of reading I turn to the crossword. The moments before sleep are mind-expanding, so I solve more clues during this time.

I think at least part of the problem is that the bodymind has a ‘completion counter’. It keeps track of the things one completes in a day, and keeps one awake until enough things have been completed. Of course the ADD mind doesn’t care about things being completed, so the counter never gets to an “enough for today” threshold. What I do now is to complete minor things (tidying, cleaning) during my breaks, which satisfy the ‘completion counter’ (which doesn’t care about importance or quality).

I haven’t had the light out after midnight now for a few months, and I’m still working on getting it earlier. I don’t have a foolproof scheme yet.