Reply To: New here. 39, psychiatrist assessment next week and nervous

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond New here. 39, psychiatrist assessment next week and nervous Reply To: New here. 39, psychiatrist assessment next week and nervous

Brightside
Participant

Hello

I understand how you feel. I was diagnosed last year as a 45 year old adult Mum of two and was really scared that I would be diagnosed and even more scared that I wouldn’t be! I literally had no idea before my daughter was diagnosed but then I started recognizing the symptoms. I have been very successful at work due to hyper focus and am now trying to address the imbalance in my life.

In the end, when I had the test results it was pretty clear – if you think you are to the point of having this referral, there is likely a pretty high chance you are. The assessment will help you with answers and a way forward. Personally I found the immediate relief to be enormous – I have had a rollercoaster of emotions since then but I finally feel like things make sense and there is a new chapter ahead…still working in that! Medication help a lot but isn’t magic – there is a lot of unlearning a lifetime of coping mechanisms and learning new ways. Good luck and do let know how you get on.