Reply To: Hate Sleeping-ADHD Related?

jimmytrimble
Participant

I get the impression you’re like I was after I was first diagnosed: very focused on the relationship between medication and sleep, to the exclusion of many other factor.

Beyond paying more attention to sleep hygiene like others have suggested above, my best advice is to consider whether you’ve been 100% honest with your psychiatrist — and, thus, whether she/he has all the information they need to guide your treatment (adjust your medications).

Have you taken all of your prescriptions exactly as directed, and kept a detailed journal of symptoms and effects?

Also, are you following other advice about diet, exercise, sleep routines?

Unless you are also an MD or APRN (I’m not), you’re likely relying on anecdotal evidence and amateur advice that causes many people to stop working with their prescribing doctor and start working against them.

Personally, in 3 months on Wellbutrin, I never got more than 2 hours of sleep without waking up to the worst nightmares I could imagine.

Point is, everyone is different and if you’re trying to manipulate your psychiatrist into giving you the drugs you think you need, you’re likely doing more harm than good.

If you truly don’t believe your psychiatrist is listening to you after taking other steps, then you can seek a second opinion. But be prepared: you may like what you hear from another provider even less.