Reply To: Questions about medication.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Questions about medication. Reply To: Questions about medication.

JBoom
Participant

I’m 46, and this year is the first time I’ve sought out medical treatment. It’s been about 5 months, and we still haven’t found the right treatment plan. For some, they find the right medication at the right does quickly. For others, it takes a lot of trial and error.

What I have had the entire time is an appreciation for the potential. That is, even though we haven’t hit the sweat spot yet, I’ve noticed enough of a change that I know it can only get better. So much so, that I often speak of my treatment in terms of being successful and settled (as someone else mentioned above about themselves).

What I’m starting to realize is that waiting until my 40s to get treatment means I have built a lot of bad habits that I must consciously work on changing — they are no match for any medication without focused intention to change them. So keep that in mind.

So, what I’m saying is be ready for a potentially long trial and error. Don’t hesitate to tell your doctor everything that you don’t like about anything that is tried, so you can discuss all the options. And give each iteration a long enough time to prove itself (or not).