Reply To: 99% sure I have ADHD, but scared

Hi Dandelion,

Thank you for your post. I am 41 years old and was diagnosed with ADHD when I was around 20 years old. It was a huge relief. While being treated, I was also diagnosed with depression and anxiety. Because I am seeking to get treated again, I obtained medical records from my last psychiatrist. One of the last notes was that I no longer needed my anxiety or depression meds because it was gone. And I remember that. I was in a very good place.

However, at the age of 33 or so, I moved out of the US and then stopped taking my medication. It sounds silly, but I guess I just forgot about it and then, well, thought I could cope. But then slowly, the symptoms of depression, anxiety, distraction, boredom, excessive fatigue etc begin to show and pile up slowly over the years. Now, I am at the point of KNOWING without a doubt that it’s time to be treated again. Not only has it been causing issues in my marriage, my career and most importantly my quality of life, my depression and suicidal thoughts have been more profound again. There are many many reason why I am seeking to get treated asap. I just can’t go on coping anymore.

When I was on mediation with therapy, my life changed.I felt “normal” for the first time in my life. It was amazing. I was able to be happy, make friends, work properly, and felt like I was going somewhere with purpose. The circles I was running in just stopped! I was able to break free and see the forest for the trees and do what I needed AND wanted to do. The only regret now is that I did stop taking the medication and being in a different country have to go through being rediagnosed etc.

Seriously, just like what they are saying above .. go get tested cause you have nothing to lose. Nothing.