Reply To: Are stimulants are more helpful than hurtful?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Are stimulants are more helpful than hurtful? Reply To: Are stimulants are more helpful than hurtful?

got2be
Participant

I don’t see stimulants as being hurtful at all. I’ve been on Concerta for over 10 years and I haven’t turned into a drug addict. I can skip the Concerta if I want to, and I don’t have any problems. I don’t have withdrawal symptoms or feel bad because I skipped a day (except for my ADD being untreated.) One doctor told me that people who don’t have ADD will feel wired on stimulants and won’t like them. You should let your mother know about that. If you have ADD, stimulants actually calm you down and help you think clearly. In the past, doctors often recommended taking breaks from stimulants once in a while because they thought they could be harmful if taken for long periods of time. Doctor’s think differently now. Stimulants can be taken each day without being harmful. You should be able to benefit each day from stimulants, not suffer without them. Could you talk your mother into visiting a psychiatrist with you so he or she can explain it to her? So many people couldn’t be on these meds for so many years if they were going to fry your brain. You could ask your mom to read a book that explains ADD. Many people just don’t understand and need to have the information spoon-fed to them. An old-but-great book for her to read is You mean I’m Not Lazy, Crazy or Stupid? It explains the counterintuitive things about ADD, like how a stimulant can actually help you slow down.