Reply To: New Here – Have been diagnosed before

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD New Here – Have been diagnosed before Reply To: New Here – Have been diagnosed before

strwbry
Participant

Hey metal2core, my husband’s an ADHD metalhead, too! He doesn’t take medicine (neither do I), but we’ve found other ways to manage those symptoms. Luckily, we’ve both found ourselves in jobs that speak to the strengths of ADHD, and we don’t have to sit still for very long. 🙂 When I was first diagnosed in my 20s, I took Adderall, and it made a world of difference in getting me out of the slump I’d found myself in. Even if you don’t want to take them long term, finding a good doctor who can give you support and use a variety of treatment options could really help. I feel like the medicine only helps part of the way. ADHDers have to make lifestyle changes and learn skills that don’t come naturally to us to survive. Plus, ADHD as a kid in school and ADHD as an adult is totally different. As a kid, you have to sit in a classroom all day and have little control over your major life choices. As adult, you can create a life that you like and learn skills to get you there. I’m in my 30s and just figured out what career I want. Going back to school in the fall. So, it’s never too late to start over. 😉

Watched this video today the first couple of minutes are slow, but it gets way better. Whenever I lack motivation, I usually google other people talking about their ADHD, and knowing that I’m not alone and other people are successfully living with it gives me hope. I hope it does for you too! 🙂 https://youtu.be/9LC-NlWhKuA