Reply To: Psychiatrist keeps dismissing my ADHD as depression/anxiety.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Teens and Young Adults with ADHD Psychiatrist keeps dismissing my ADHD as depression/anxiety. Reply To: Psychiatrist keeps dismissing my ADHD as depression/anxiety.

bstephens1ster
Participant

“differential diagnosis” is an organized disciplined pattern of questions the doctor asks in order to * eliminate wrong diagnosis that a first hunch seem plausible, so it’s not unusual for a doctor with little formal training or experience in ADD to end up eliminating the ADD/ADHD in an effort to be precise and correct. Some of the symptoms of anxiety and depression are the same as ADD/ADHD especially inattentive type. It’s also possible that you have co-occurring symptoms of ADD and anxiety and depression. Try to find a new psychiatrist who has experience & knowledge about inattentive ADD and get a 2nd opinion.

(I’m an adult with inattentive ADD GAD (anxiety) and sometimes depression.

Please let us know if you are successful. Also let us know if you are unable to get a 2nd opinion as there are people here who could help you suggest studies for the doctor to read.