Reply To: If you're not your ADHD, who are you and how are you similar to neurotypicals?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame If you're not your ADHD, who are you and how are you similar to neurotypicals? Reply To: If you're not your ADHD, who are you and how are you similar to neurotypicals?

Existentialist
Participant

Great answers above! In the past year, I have struggled with the question of over-identifying with ADHD. I realized that I sometimes do over-identify. That is when I have to do what others have said above and start concentrating more on solutions. It’s that negative self-image that causes us to see only that we’ve tried and tried again.

ADHD is a strange combination of one step forward and one step back, two steps forward and one step back, one step forward and two steps back. I had one counselor tell me, not in a negative way, that the only thing consistent is inconsistency.

As advised above, look for those positives. Most of the time I have a good sense of humor, even about my ADHD. Sometimes I frustrate myself to no end. When my creative attributes come out, I feel great. When I finish a job or task, I get a glimpse of accomplishment.

All of us are different, even in the way that ADHD affects our lives. Our symptoms are different or proportionally different. As one pushing 60 who has struggled most of my life, I advise you to enjoy the ride as much as possible. Look at the challenges and be realistic, but don’t follow the tendency to be a victim. Get back in the saddle and try again. Cherish the small victories and continue to work toward the big ones.