Reply To: Waking up early

cpeckenpaugh
Participant

Glad to know that my kid (11) is not the only one who wakes up with the cows! We have tried everything too. He gets melatonin on top of the clonidine and is usually out like a light around 8pm, if we’re lucky. Now that it’s summer break, I’ve asked him to please not get up before 7am. I’m up at 6am every day and I’d like to get an extra hour just for the summer because I am exhausted with my 2. He has been up at 5:30-6am, so I have gone to bribing him, which sort of works. I told him no tablet (games are important to him) if he gets up before 7am. I’m just asking for an hour. That seems to work, sometimes. Our problem for him is he won’t sleep with the lights off so he wakes up super early. We turn off his lights at night when he’s asleep, we’ve tried night light solutions, everything, but he just won’t keep his lights off. I found he sleeps much better when his lights are off. Just need a way to keep it off.

Hope this helps others to know that you’re not the only one! Hang in there parents!