Reply To: Psychiatrist keeps dismissing my ADHD as depression/anxiety.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Teens and Young Adults with ADHD Psychiatrist keeps dismissing my ADHD as depression/anxiety. Reply To: Psychiatrist keeps dismissing my ADHD as depression/anxiety.

Old lady
Participant

Background: I’ve been through it since I got married in 1962. My husband had it. My two sons have it, one severely, minimal ld, total lack of emotional control, etc. diagnosed at age 3 by a pediatric neurologist. Until recently I never knew work had been done with adults, so I just lived through it. My husband died many years ago. My oldest son lives at home and always has because he also has severe IBS. Emotionally I am exhausted as well as physically handicapped. I asked my son to please talk with his student in training therapist about ADHD as my son denies he has it. I went with my son to a session to present my situation to the therapist. He asked me what are the three top problems. I answered. He said he will give my son a test and then will have to step away to score it. I stepped away. They came back in ten minutes and the therapist said he didn’t score high enough so no, he doesn’t have ADHD.

My guess is that this happens over and over again to others. Does anyone know of a recognized source of information that could be given to such “experts” saying to them please evaluate the situation based on this scale?