Reply To: I think ADHD, psych wants to test for ASD, which sounds absurd

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond I think ADHD, psych wants to test for ASD, which sounds absurd Reply To: I think ADHD, psych wants to test for ASD, which sounds absurd

CoffeeNCardio
Participant

Yeah I’ve been giving it a lot of thought and observation today and he just doesn’t have any of the symptoms you described, and all the ones the psychologist assigned as red flags disappear when he’s calm. I didn’t think ASD just went away when someone got tired, but the symptoms she is using to push for the ASD evaluation definitely do. Whereas the symptoms we discussed that are more on the ADHD side don’t. They are ever present, but are lessened with exercise, which she told me was typical of ADHD. I know its early, I wish I could wait til he was 7 or 8 before having to do any of this. But the hyperactivity has become unmanageable. He’s a sweet boy and smart and he’s emotionally tapped in and we have long fun conversations, when he’s calm. But it’s like every couple of hours someone doses him with Speed and he can’t stop himself and he runs and his volume explodes and he does things he knows aren’t allowed and he feels bad after and he can see it makes me upset and he apologizes once the explosion is over but I can’t be inside my house for an hour straight. I live in my garage so he can play in the driveway and run around and jump and roll without breaking himself or anything else. I called her back and told her we would do the ASD evaluation. I don’t want to miss it. But I am concerned he’s going to get a misapplied ASD diagnosis because he’s four and while this office won’t give ADHD diagnoses until the age of five, they will give ASD diagnoses as early as 2.5. It just sets off my alarm bells. And I’m worried I may have misrepresented his issues which has led her to think its autism. The kid is fine when he’s calm. He can’t function because his calm states never last more than an hour. But when he IS calm, he could easily be mistaken for neurotypical. It’s a mess and I’m stressed as **** about it.